Make ppc64 secondary arch - don't block builds (was: Dealing with ppc64 BRs)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 16:29:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:23:27 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> wrote:

> Up to now, Fedora Core was known to be reasonably portable because the
> same engineer handling any Core package had to also build it for RHEL,
> but with the disappearance of the distinction between Core and Extras
> that's not much comfort anymore.  My point is basically that I want to
> see Extras trying to achieve the portability Core had, not allow Core
> to slide down to the non-portability Extras had.

Yes, it's "easy" to care about other arches when you're paid to do so.
But we have this goal that we want Fedora to be accessible and worked
on by more than just Red Hat engineering.  And the sad reality of today
is that x86 is the prevalent arch and that's the lions share of
volunteers we're going to get.  Forcing them to care about whatever
arches Red Hat deems is necessary for their business strategy will
likely cut our volunteers by quite a bit and send them somewhere else
that doesn't force them to cater to $BigCorp business concerns.  We
could go back to Fedora being a purely Red Hat thing with only Red Hat
employees paid to work on it and then we'd be sure that everybody would
"care" about those non-x86 arches, but then where would that leave the
distribution?

--
Jesse Keating