Font packages changes required for dropping chkfontpath/xfs

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 23:48:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:32:13 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in this because I'm about to stick a symlink to
> /usr/share/zoneinfo into one of my packages, and I cannot see a good
> reason to spell it as ../../../../usr/share/zoneinfo.

The chroot itself is not affected. The problem is a chroot when
it's NOT set up, but you run something in it, e.g. /mnt/rhel5/usr/bin/ls.
Usually you learn not to use absolute links when manupulating NFS roots.
But I think the worst surprise of the sort that I received was when I
untarred something with somehting like
 (cd /mnt/badger/var/spool && tar xf -)
and the cd target was an absolute symlink. Hilarity ensued.

> I can think of a number of cases where [a relative symlink would]
> be a bad idea, and none where it really solves a problem.

I'd like to hear how a relative symlink can be a bad idea.
It seems obvious to me that all symlinks should be relative,
but equally obviously I'm forgetting something. What do you have
in mind?

-- Pete