Summary of the 2007-08-07 Packaging Committee meeting

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 8 22:39:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 07:36:35PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> > * There was plenty of interesting discussion here; it's a delicate
> >    issue but the current tendency is to let License: refer to the
> >    license on the source packages.

> Erm, can we word that as "let License: refer to the license of the
> parts of the sources used to build the binaries. IOW not any
> licenses inherited from libraries used"

The source package by itself is already derived work, which someone
can use to build from all sources. E.g. you cannot restrict to what
you actually use, for a hyperbole's sake: someone could take the
kernel tar.gz, find a public domain file in there and republish the
kernel tar.gz as public domain as he only used that one file of the
tarball :)

I think the magic attitude here is to note that this Licensing tag is
just to aid some preparsing stuff for real humans to look at. Best is
to put the most restrictive tag in License: that results from the
whole of the sources and clarify within the package if need be.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net