License review for new itext version

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Aug 12 21:16:39 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jochen Schmitt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the past we have removed itext and pdftk which depends on itext from
>> the Fedora distribution due
>> license issue.
>>
>> In the new iText package itext-2.0.4 I have found a text file about the
>> licensing situation of the
>> source file coming from Sun Corporation Inc.
>>
>> I have uploaded this file for review on
>>
>> http://www.herr-schmitt.de/pub/itext/sun.txt
>>
>> I want to know, it this ok for Fedora. But I assume, that the last term
>> about usage this
>> file for nuclear weapons may be a blocker.
>
> This looks like the revised BSD license with a use restriction that
> makes it non-free.

Its not a use restriction, it reads:
"You acknowledge that Software is not designed,licensed or intended for use in
the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility."

Oh darn it is a use restriction, notice the not licensed, I thought it was just
a warning (which it would be if you remove the work licensed from the sentence).

So again ask Sun for a waiver, in this case just removing the work "licensed"
from this sentence will do.

Regards,

Hans