The open() system call in f8 really broken...

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 14:24:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 10:12:24AM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> Bring down servers, costing people time and money because apps
> that have run for years suddenly abort is just not the right
> way to handle this.. imho..

Only people that run their $$$$$$ servers on rawhide...

> Give people a chance to correct their code, with stern warnings,
> and then, in the next release, have the applications abort...
> Why is this such a bad idea?

It is not yet F8test2, there is plenty of time to fix all or most
of these bugs still in rawhide.
Most uses of open(1) are actually with compile time constant
second argument and in that case glibc will issue compile time
errors when open ("foo", O_CREAT|O_RDWR); etc. is seen.
Only when it is known only at runtime we do runtime checking.

	Jakub