The open() system call in f8 really broken...

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 14:55:20 UTC 2007

Oliver Falk wrote:
> On 08/16/2007 04:34 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:
>> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>>> Only people that run their $$$$$$ servers on rawhide...
>> No.. but they do on RHEL and today's rawhide is tomorrow's RHEL...
>
> But Steve, they will not simply do a yum upgrade on their EL5 boxes to
> upgrade to EL6...
Agreed... And I'll concede moving from one RHEL release to another
RHEL release is a good time to make people recompile their code
esp for security issues... and their code should not compile if
there is a security issue... But thats not the case here!

My code compile and then aborted... and even worse I was able
to avoid the abort without fixing the security hole.. so the
abort was basically meaningless...  imo...

So I guess what I'm saying, if you can't catch the security issue
and fail the compilation, don't abort the process at run time.
Issue a warning instead... Let the developers decide how
grievous the problem, not glibc...

steved.