GPL and LGPL not acceptable for Fedora!

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 23:41:21 UTC 2007

On 8/16/07, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Colin,
> This is with all sincerity and not at all meant to be dismissive: If
> you have the time to automate this I think we'll be glad to listen.

There are a lot of components to automation of this kind of thing; in fact
people have made entire companies and product lines around (as far as I can
tell) essentially this problem:  http://www.blackducksoftware.com/

However, I was fairly sure there had to already be something open source out
there to use as a start.  My initial googling wasn't too successful (a lot
of things called licenses), but then I had the bright idea to add "Debian"
to my search.  Turns out there's a license analyzing script in one of their
packages:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/devscripts

There is also:
http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2006/10/04/debian-repository-analyzer-for-license-compliance/
Which looks kind of frightening but maybe useful.

The Debian script supports far fewer licenses the Fedora wiki page on this
topic; however, it would probably be pretty useful to run over the whole
source tree as a start; I bet you'd find a number of cases where things
today are specified just as GPL but have some other stuff.

Moving more advanced from that, associate the wiki license list set with a
list of fuzzy text segments combined with regular expressions.