GPL and LGPL not acceptable for Fedora!

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 17 07:57:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 10:48 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Friday 17 August 2007, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> > P.S.: Do you agree or disagree with my assessment that a COPYING file in
> > the tarball and no licensing information in the source means the program
> > is unlicensed and therefore we must get a license from the author or
> > have to stop shipping the package in Fedora?
>
> I don't really have an informed nor a strong opinion about that,

What matters to courts is the copyright holder having
"pronounced/communicated his intention of how a package's sources may be
used and how binaries being built from it may-be used/distributed".

How he communicates his is intention, basically is up to himself. There
are ways which are claimed to be "safer" some which are claimed to be
"less safer" ways. Which ways a court would accept is a different
question.

>  but perhaps
> I'm slightly leaning towards that this wouldn't be a show-stopper.
> Clarification should absolutely be asked in this case though.
Doing so is impossible in many cases.

Ralf