Popt package split planning

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 22 21:18:27 UTC 2007

Good evening all,

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Thought I'd post this to -maintainers for potential discussion first before
> going to -devel-announce...

thank you to Panu at first. When is a good point to spam via -maintainers?
Once the package got built? Before? Now?

> To ease transition, starting from the next rawhide push, the popt package
> that's still built from rpm.spec adds
> Provides: popt-devel = %{version}-%{release}
> so you can start adding the buildrequires for the packages needing it

Hopefully everybody added the correct dependency. If not, do so otherwise
your package will break at the next rebuild...

> already. Once the new popt package is reviewed and published to
> repositories, rpm will be changed to build against that and drop the
> internal popt entirely.

It's likely, that tomorrow will be the day, where popt will get rebuilt for
the development branch (once CVS is done). After that, RPM needs to get the
internal popt removed.

> popt-1.12 (the new package in review) is supposed to be ABI and API
> compatible to the current one (1.10.2.1) but a rebuild of depending
> packages against the new version might not be a bad idea anyway...

As from a diff, I can see nothing what would suppose any ABI or API change,
but I'm no programmer. If there are concerns regarding this change, feel
free to contact Panu or me, maybe we're able to help you ;-)

Greetings,
  Robert