Default Buildroot and missing deps (awk)

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 15:59:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 11:46:54AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Did we ever figure out what changed to cause awk to disappear?

I do not think it is important.  IIRC, the chain from a pkg from
ExceptionList to gawk was quiote long (I tried to figure out a few
months ago).

If you suppose an existence of something, there should be a known
short sequience of dependencies which guarantees that the feature is
available.

For example, you can take ld for granted, because binutils are
required by gcc.  (Yet it might be better to add binutils to
ExceptionList.)

OTOH, I think that each package which installs *.info manual should
BuildRequire: info or /sbin/install-info.  Currently, the program is
installed, because many packages (e.g., coreutils and diffutils) have
Requires(post): /sbin/install-info
But who knows, that requirement may change in the future.
So unless "info" is added to the ExceptionList, you should better
BuildRequire: /sbin/install-info

With the above in mind, I would really prefer to add things like
binutils to the ExceptionList, and stating that whatever is not
explicitly listed has to be BuildRequired, as was proposed in another
mail in this thread.

Stepan Kasal