Koji cannot build openldap

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 07:49:56 UTC 2007

Jan Safranek <jsafranek at redhat.com> writes:
> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>> dbm.c is buggy.  It includes <fcntl.h>, which provides open, and POSIX
>> allows functions to be defined as function-like macros.

> Maybe POSIX does allow such behavior, but it will break lot of packages
> - for example all packages who use Berkeley DB (which is my case).  I

I wasted several unexpected hours tonight patching mysql for this, and
I am now afraid to recompile any of my other packages :-(.  This sort of
hacking may be legal by a narrow reading of the specification, but that
doesn't make it a good idea.

This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened, either.

I propose that the gcc/glibc boys be responsible for fixing packages
that break when they whack around system headers --- that would perhaps
make them weigh the consequences of their actions a bit more carefully.
Right now, they appear to put zero weight on the effort that must be
expended by other people in response to their changes.

> Patching the DB would result in >500 changed lines and I am bit
> skeptical about upstream accepting such patch

That's not going to happen for me, either, which means that this
"improvement" will represent a permanent maintenance headache and
incompatibility with the rest of the world.

			regards, tom lane