Make ppc64 secondary arch - don't block builds (was: Dealing with ppc64 BRs)

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 16:42:30 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating writes:
 > On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:16:06 +0100
 > Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Bugs found when chasing down portability problems are often real
 > > bugs, not just non-portable code.  For that reason, 100% of our
 > > users benefit from portable code, not just the 1% who use minor
 > > architectures.  It's in everyone's interest that Fedora code is
 > > real C (or C++).
 >
 > But when that bug doesn't effect the majority of our user base,

How do you know until you have analyzed the bug?  Every bug revealed
during portability testing is potentially a real bug on the primary
arch.

 > do those users really care?  Should the?  Yes.  Do they?  No.  "It
 > works for me and my major arch, why should I care that it broke on
 > your silly arch?"

You are painfully close to assuming that our users are fools; I don't
believe it.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903