License review for new itext version

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 09:56:12 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 10:07:10PM +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> > I want to know, it this ok for Fedora. But I assume, that the last term
> > about usage this
> > file for nuclear weapons may be a blocker.
>
> Not wishing to be pedantic, but "nuclear facility" does not
> necessarily imply "nuclear weapons".

And nuclear weapons people don't need to ask permission 8)

The clause says

"You acknowledge that Software is not designed,licensed or intended for use in
the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility."

It does not say you may not do so, it just says on your own head be it.

I don't know if that warning needs to be propogated to the basic fedora
docs or info but its not itself a restriction

There is a different problem however

"ii) Licensee does not utilize the software in a manner which is
disparaging to Sun Microsystems."

This is incompatible with open source. (As indeed would be one which forbid its
use disparaging to Fedora).

Alan