Licence of upstream project

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 15 20:05:32 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 15 August 2007 11:52:21 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> If you are the sole copyright holder, you are free to relicense, but
> if there are other contributors with copyrightable patches then they
> would need to agree to relicense or you would need to rewrite
> inorder for you to able to relicense.

> I'm the only contributor.

Only contributor of vixie-cron? Are you confusing package maintenance
with upstream authoring? By definition of its name vixie-cron has Paul
Vixie as a author, and the sources say:

| Many people have contributed to cron.  Many more than I can
| remember, [many names mentioned]

So if you want to change the license you will have to get the consent
of all these people, you can't relicense just because you package it.

But maybe I misunderstood what you meant with "I started upstream of
vixie-cron". If you are rewriting this from scratch w/o using code
from vixie-cron then you can license it however you like. But you
should probably not call it vixie-cron.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net