GPL and LGPL not acceptable for Fedora!

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Fri Aug 17 13:40:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> As an alternative, we could have some boilerplate that specifically
> explains the situation  to the upstream author when we encounter a bare
> "GPL" in the source code:

  I emailed an upstream with a similar message yesterday when I encountered
a COPYING file but no copyright/licensing-related comments in the source.
They responded immediately agreeing that they should add copyright
information, and even going so far as to ask my opinion on whether they
should use a specific version of the GPL or not.  (Wow, what a cooperative
upstream.)  FWIW, this was Coraid, upstream for aoetools and vblade.

  I'm definitely a proponent of contacting upstream for clarification.
Hopefully all of them will be so friendly, especially since clearing this
up now could save them problems down the road.

      Jima