GPL and LGPL not acceptable for Fedora!

Wart wart at kobold.org
Mon Aug 20 04:26:16 UTC 2007

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 17:47 -0700, Wart wrote:
>> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>>> Got your attention? Good.
>>>
>>> GPL and LGPL are NOT acceptable License tags for Fedora. You cannot
>>> simply use "GPL" or "LGPL" as a license tag anymore.
>>>
>>> You have to use one of the following tags:
>> [...]
>>
>> I hope this is the right forum to ask questions to help clarify which
>> license to use for various packages.  If not, then please direct me to
>> the correct forum.
>>
>> Many files in the iwidgets package use the following:
>>
>> # Permission is hereby granted, without written agreement and without
>> # license or royalty fees, to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
>> # software and its documentation for any purpose, provided that the
>> # above copyright notice and the following two paragraphs appear in
>> # all copies of this software.
>>
>> This seems to be basically the MIT license, but with some minor
>> rephrasing.  Before I start tagging the package as 'MIT and ...', I'd
>> like to verify that I can use 'MIT' here.
>
> Without seeing the whole text of the license, I can't be sure, but that
> beginning part sounds very much like MIT.
>
> Please send me a copy of the full license text, and I'll let you know
> for sure.

Here is the full text of the license from one of the source files:

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
#                   Copyright (c) 1995  Mark L. Ulferts
# ======================================================================
# Permission is hereby granted, without written agreement and without
# license or royalty fees, to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
# software and its documentation for any purpose, provided that the
# above copyright notice and the following two paragraphs appear in
# all copies of this software.
#
# IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR
# DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
# ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN
# IF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
# DAMAGE.
#
# THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING,
# BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED HEREUNDER IS
# ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER HAS NO OBLIGATION TO
# PROVIDE MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

Some of the files also reference 'license.terms', which reads almost the
same and is attached.

Thanks,

--Wart