Jpackage: follow or lead?

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 04:20:31 UTC 2007

I'd like to get findbugs into Fedora.  Findbugs can optionally use ASM
instead of BCEL.  I would like to get ASM into Fedora first, then, so
we don't have any pesky options that don't work.  Jpackage.org has an
ASM package already; two of them in fact.  The package named "asm"
contains version 1.5.3, and the package named "asm2" contains version
2.1.  However, the current ASM release is version 3.0 (as of November
2006).  Should I follow jpackage.org and go with an "asm2" package
until they release a version 3, or should I cut to the chase and
create a version 3 package for Fedora?  In the latter case, I presume
it should be named "asm3" and have a version number containing "jpp";
is there any reason to do otherwise?  Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/