asm3 [Was: Jpackage: follow or lead?]

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 16:47:45 UTC 2007

Hi Jerry,

Jerry James wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Fernando Nasser <fnasser at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Do you know how backwards-compatible is this Asm 3.x version?
>
> Well, there are changes to the API:
>
> http://asm.objectweb.org/jdiff223to30/changes.html

Yeah, certainly not a drop-in replacement....

> Whether those changes affect any particular application will require
> examining that application, of course.  In my case, I want to get
> findbugs [1] into Fedora, but current findbugs uses ASM 3.0, hence
> this thread.  Permaine is working on getting the current jpackage.org
> asm2 package into Fedora, but there doesn't seem to be anyone working
> on ASM 3.0.

I think it is just because nobody asked for it I guess...  findbugs uses
bcel in the JPP build.

BTW, why not using bcel?

>> In any case, I think we should go with a asm3 one.  This end up being
>> used by some software that require certification and changing the
>> version used is always troublesome for their developers.
>
> Yes.  My worry is that with the current naming scheme, we will find
> ourselves making asm3 packages now, asm4 packages next year, asm5
> packages after that, etc.  I would think it would be better to have an
> asm-3.0 package now, and compat-asm-2.x versions if needed.  However,
> that runs contrary to the jpackage naming scheme.

It wil all depend on upstream projects upgrading from asm 1.x and 2.x I
guess, of some of us patching them to use the newer version instead.

I'd still say we add an asm3 to JPP and import it in here.

>> I can get asm3 into JPackage 5.0, perhaps into the devel area and could
>> even import it and build.
>>
>> But I suspect, even being a versioned package of asm, one would still
>> have to propose it using the usual proceedure.
>
> Right.  I am certainly interested in seeing ASM 3.0 get into Fedora
> one way or another.  Take that as an offer to help. :-)

Let me see if I can build asm3

But I stil wonder why not use bcel, which we already have?

BTW, have you looked at the findbugs package in JPP 5.0?