How to call default browser

Hi,

I have a package where default browser to be used by a program should be
defined in a Makefile. There is firefox typed by default, but it's
always annoying when an app calls not your preferred browser.
There can be default browser defined in Fedora, but how can I call it
from a command line (I searched in alternatives, but without success)?

Btw, there is no default *graphical* text editor. What do you think
could be defined as that?

Regards
Marcin