When bumping tcl...

Sander Hoentjen sander at hoentjen.eu
Fri Feb 2 11:23:10 UTC 2007

Thomas wrote:

> This leads me to a related issue:
>
> Tcl searches for packages in 3 directories:
>   * /usr/share/tcl8.5
>   * /usr/share
>   * /usr/lib
>
> The search algorithm involves going into each subdirectory of these
three directories, looking for a file named 'pkgIndex.tcl', and then
reading it.  Since there are quite a few subdirectories in /usr/share
and /usr/lib that aren't tcl-related, this results in a lot of wasted
time and effort.

> To fix, the default value for 'auto_path' in Tcl needs to be reduced to
2 directories:  /usr/lib{64}/tcl8.x and /usr/share/tcl8.x.  My informal
tests have shown that this can reduce the initial load time for Tcl
scripts from 3.7s to 0.2s.

Although I am not a tcl maintainer, I would like to say that this sounds
like a very good idea to me. It will probably create some breakage
(packages that have to be updated), so we should do it sooner rather then
later to have it working perfectly by the time Fedora 7 comes out. I can't
see any downsides except for the fact that it will be a tad more difficult
to get non-fedora packaged packages to work.

Would it be ok to already change my tcl packages to go to
/usr/lib{64}/tcl8.x ?
This will not affect anything at all, except for reduced polution of libdir.

Sander