Broken deps in FC6 Updates

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Feb 4 17:51:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 16:21 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:52:56 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 03 February 2007 18:08, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > > BuildArch: noarch
> > > ExcludeArch: ppc
> > >

> > > [In comparison, the Extras push script examines the src.rpm for the
> > > ExcludeArch tag and doesn't push such noarch packages to the excluded
> > > target repos. That is something that has been said is done for Core,
> > > too. IIRC, either jkatz or sopwith has said that.]
> >
> > I'd really like to start discussion again on stop calling these
> > things 'noarch' when they aren't 'noarch'.  If your package doesn't work on
> > other arches, it can't be noarch.  It either needs to no-op on other arches,
> > or not be noarch.
If what you say applies, something is very broken in the buildsystem.

1. Noarch is the architecture a package had been designed for, not the
architecture a package actually runs on and doesn't have to imply a
package is usable on a certain arch.

2. A noarch package can depend on arch'ed packages, which might not be
available for all arches - Nevertheless the package itself is still
noarch.

Ralf