Process Change: Package Reviews with Flags

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Feb 6 00:23:23 UTC 2007

On Monday, 05 February 2007 at 22:32, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Not commenting on the review process, I haven't reviewed (ugh) it.
>
> Michael Schwendt (bugs.michael at gmx.net) said:
> > The locked down owners.list makes it impossible to fix typos in it.
>
> Is this *really* a problem? Considering I fixed a typo that was there
> for over 30 days with it open, not sure that it's the biggest concern.
> Obviously, 'don't break it' is the answer; the best solution is to
> get the package db up and running.
>
> > Resurrecting dead packages has become more
> > difficult, too, especially for new contributors. Too many steps and
> > points of failure that can easily become an unpleasant experience for the
> > new contributors.
>
> What's the failure point here now?
>
> As for the import process, we can change how that works - instead
> of CVSSyncNeeded, for example, we could just, after APPROVED, assign
> the review bug to the CVS admins to do the magic, at which point they
> assign it back to the owner to do the initial import/build. Is this
> a better interface for users?

No. It adds a hurdle that wasn't there before. Personally, I'm probably
going to postpone importing any packages I have queued up until this is
changed back. What was so wrong with anyone in cvsextras group being able
to modify owners.list that you had to change it?

And changing assignment of the review bug is not good either. Too easy to
forget. Look how often people forget to change bug state during review
or close it afterwards.

This, along with the new ACL policy is beginning to seriously annoy me.
Please stop adding hoops for contributors to jump through.

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora Extras contributor  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DominikMierzejewski