Broken deps in FC6 Updates

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Feb 6 13:55:22 UTC 2007

MS> Strangely, the results of that discussion are unknown and/or have
MS> not been communicated back in an appropriate way.

I don't know that it came to any specific end; it was just something
that came up on IRC (or was it the mailing list?) and was discussed.
It didn't produce a draft or anything (probably because we couldn't
agree).

Ah, my logs show a discussion on July 13, 2006.  See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/IRCLog20060713, scroll down to
"(09:52:34)".

MS> What is the "meaning of noarch" in your point of view?

To me it means that the files inside the package don't contain
host-executable binary components.  Others don't agree.  The simplest
example that illustrates the contention is a shell script that parses
/proc/cpuinfo on, say, a Sparc and will do nothing useful on any other
machine.  noarch or not?  Back then I said noarch, others disagree.
I'm open to discussion, especially since then I admit I didn't fully
consider the necessary hacks that were required to get this to work.
Note that the proposal was very close to passing and may pass again if
discussed again.

 - J<