Problems with core review

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 19:49:11 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Joe Orton <jorton at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:04:07AM -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:
> > Can you please whammy Joe Orton with it?  There are several problems
> > I've had with this person.
>
> I am very happy to make changes to all the packages I maintain to ensure
> they meet the packaging guidelines, and greatly appreciate the efforts
> of yourself and others in doing that.  I know many of the Core packages
> are a mess, so it really is great that you guys spend the time helping
> us clean them up.
>
> But I will always resist arbitrary changes which lack technical
> justification (or are just plain undesirable); the fact that such
> changes are proposed as part of the Review Process does not make them
> sacrosanct.

Here are the issues in question:

1) Replace use of $RPM_SOURCE_DIR with %{SOURCEx}

I asked about this in #fedora-extras since I did not understand
rpmlints Error message. f13 responded by saying you should just use
%{SOURCEx}.

I agree with f13 on this issue because it is easier to identify in the
spec file where the source files are used.

Pros:  Easier to spot SOURCE references in spec file
Cons: None

Time to implement change: approximately 30 seconds
Time to complain vociferously about it and bring issue up with
Packaging Committee: days if not weeks

Benefits of running it through PC: None

2) Add empty %build section even though its not required

All php-pear packages include an empty %build section and php-pear
should not be an exception.  This was disccussed at length when
creating the php-pear spec file template.  Ville has real world
examples how this can cause problems.

Technical reason for changing:  rpm is unpredictable with no %build,
consistency among all pear packages

Technical reason for not changing:  None

Time requried to implement: 5 seconds
Time required to complain vociferously about it and bring issue up
with Packaging Committee: days if not weeks

Benefits of running it through PC: None

3) License tag should change to just "PHP License 3.0"

Technical reason for changing: consistency with all other php/php-pear packages