Problems with core review

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Tue Feb 6 20:34:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:49:11AM -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:
> Here are the issues in question:
>
> 1) Replace use of $RPM_SOURCE_DIR with %{SOURCEx}
>
> I asked about this in #fedora-extras since I did not understand
> rpmlints Error message. f13 responded by saying you should just use
> %{SOURCEx}.
>
> I agree with f13 on this issue because it is easier to identify in the
> spec file where the source files are used.

Con: it makes renumering Sources a pain, it's harder to use since you
have to remember numbers not filenames.  This number/filename mapping
trick doesn't scale well as anybody who has maintained spec files with
more than a handful of patches knows.

Insufficient justification for change.

> 2) Add empty %build section even though its not required
>
> All php-pear packages include an empty %build section and php-pear
> should not be an exception.  This was disccussed at length when
> creating the php-pear spec file template.  Ville has real world
> examples how this can cause problems.

What are they, how do they apply to this package?

> Technical reason for changing:  rpm is unpredictable with no %build,
> consistency among all pear packages

It's worked predictably for the history of this package.  Insufficient
justification for change.

> 3) License tag should change to just "PHP License 3.0"

I'm not making changes here until a license tag standard is agreed. The
current draft proposal on the wiki drops the version altogether.

joe