Problems with core review

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Feb 6 20:49:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 20:34 +0000, Joe Orton wrote:

> Con: it makes [renumbering] Sources a pain, it's harder to use since you
> have to remember numbers not filenames.  This number/filename mapping
> trick doesn't scale well as anybody who has maintained spec files with
> more than a handful of patches knows.

I'm sorry but this is absolute hilarity. If you have to remember which
%SOURCEN macro corresponds to which file, then just scroll up in your
favorite editor to the part that lists each Source/Patch file. If these
names aren't descriptive enough, then that's an issue you need to
resolve by renaming to something more appropriate (for example,
"fix-BZ123456-config-error.patch" is a lot nicer than
"fix-stupid-bug.patch").

And if you need to renumber them, just use the search/replace
capabilities of your preferred editor...or even a simple 'sed -i'
invocation...
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) / FSF Associate Member #5015
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479