Problems with core review

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 05:34:20 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Christopher Stone <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> > > Con: it makes renumering Sources a pain, it's harder to use since you
> > > have to remember numbers not filenames.  This number/filename mapping
> > > trick doesn't scale well as anybody who has maintained spec files with
> > > more than a handful of patches knows.
> > >
> > > Insufficient justification for change.

> > > What are they, how do they apply to this package?
> > rpm doesn't generate debug-infos if %build is not present.

> > > It's worked predictably for the history of this package.
> > Only if all those package had been noarch'ed.
> >
> > If not, you surely have broken debug-infos.
>
> I brought up the fact that all php-pear packages are noarch, yet this
> requirement was imposed on all php-pear packages anyway.
>
> The php-pear default spec template adds an empty %build section even
> though I argued against such an addition.
>
> Therefore, I do not see why php-pear should be an exception to this
> rule.  Why is it imposed on all other php-pear packages except for
> php-pear itself?

It should also be noted, that if rpm can't figure out how to do things
correctly with arch specific packages that do not have a %build, then
can we really trust rpm to function properly on packages that are
noarch?

I think this is a valid argument.  If the logic inside rpm is so bad
that it can't handle things properly without certain tags, then we
better be really careful about how we format our spec files.