Theoretical: CVS Admin with Flags

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Feb 7 08:42:15 UTC 2007

Warren Togami wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> What's the failure point here now?
>>
>> As for the import process, we can change how that works - instead
>> of CVSSyncNeeded, for example, we could just, after APPROVED, assign
>> the review bug to the CVS admins to do the magic, at which point they
>> assign it back to the owner to do the initial import/build. Is this
>> a better interface for users?
>>

> Folks seem to be confused by the ASSIGNED bouncing around.

Did I misread your last version (top post of this thread) isn't the
ASSIGNED bouncing around no more in this version?

? I am
> currently thinking about potential ways to improve the review process to
> remove this confusion.  A big legitimate problem with changing ASSIGNED
> is that it must be done manually, which is too easy to not happen
> because it is not obvious.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/CVSSyncNeeded
> I made some changes to this page in an attempt to simplify this
> temporary process until we have the PackageDB online.  Unfortunately, I
> suspect even this simplified process is too complicated.
> 1. Request new package and branch.
> 2. Wait until somebody creates empty directories and edits owners.list.
> 3. Owner checks stuff in and builds.
>
> Perhaps a better idea than setting ASSIGNED to the CVS admins is to have
> a fedora-cvs flag?  Theoretical process:
>
> 1) Review is complete, fedora-review+
> 2) Owner writes in the Bugzilla comment something like:
> <Branches> <PackageName> <FedoraAccountName> <BugName>
> FC-5 FC-6 foopackage bobjoe bobjoebugzilla at gmail.com
> 3) Set fedora-cvs flag
> 4) CVS Admins get e-mail about fedora-cvs flag.  All context of the
> review is within the bug itself.  Admin creates CVS directories and sets
> owner.  Removes fedora-cvs flag.  (This is especially nice because CVS
> admin queue can be seen by a bugzilla query.)
> 5) Owner checks in and builds.
>
> Effectively, this fedora-cvs flag eliminates the need for CVSSyncNeeded
> entirely.  You could also use the fedora-cvs flag with explicitly
> instructions within any bug to do special requests, like:
> "Please remove audacious-itouch.  We made some mistake.  Blah blah."
>
> Thoughts?

I really dislike needing to ask a CVS admin in for anything, IMHO this
needing a CVS-admin for initial import is a serious regression, can't we
think of some other way to get this fixed? I never liked the manual
requesting of CVS-branches and now things have been made worse.

Regards,

Hans