CVS Admin Sucks Less

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Feb 7 19:53:56 UTC 2007

On Wednesday, 07 February 2007 at 19:27, Warren Togami wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> >
> >Can we please keep things no more complicated than they were? Initial
> >import
> >into devel should not require any admin interaction. If it does, why do we
> >need sponsorship? Getting a contributor account was difficult enough, I
> >don't
> >want to jump through hoops with every new package!
> >

> Past: CVSSyncNeeded
> ===================
> Wiki sucked a lot for a work queue.  4 steps:

Not quite.

> 1) fedora-review+
> 2) cvs-import.sh

3) build for devel

Now if you wanted to package something for non-devel (the most common case,
admittedly), then the following applied, too.

> 3) CVSSyncNeeded and wait...
> 4) Fix-up and build

The point is, with this, I could build the package immediately.

> Current: CVS Admin
> ==================
> You ask cvs admin to create directories for you, then you do everything
> all at once.  This is actually FEWER steps than before.
> 1) fedora-review+
> 2) fedora-cvs? and wait...
> 3) Check-in and build.
>
> Yes, this process still sucks, but it sucks less.  Let's just use this
> for now, and focus on making the ideal system for the future.

I want to ask again: why is it necessary to do this NOW? Why can't
the changes wait until packagedb is ready?

> Future: Better Automation
> =========================
> I think the future infrastructure improvements like next-gen VCS and
> Package Database will eventually allow us to better automate this,
> perhaps making it entirely self-serve.  No waiting involved.
>
> 1) Pre-review, import into a theoretical hosted personal VCS to make it
> easy for others to review.  Changes prior to approval are tracked in
> history.
> 2) fedora-review+ in database.
> 3) System automatically validates fedora-review+.  Owner can check boxes
> of which branches they wish to create.  Then build.
>
> (There are a number of security considerations we must take into account
> for this to be possible.  The design and implementation for example
> would need to abstract access from PackageDB to VCS, limiting it to only
> certain operations like "create new package".)

Sounds promising. I hope we get to see this in action soon.

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora Extras contributor  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DominikMierzejewski