Core merge and Package Guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 00:02:34 UTC 2007

Hey all,

I'm trying to smooth out the process of getting changes and
clarifications to the guidelines to make the Core Review process go
quicker and easier.  Here's what I'd like to see: if a reviewer and
packager are at an impasse WRT following or not following some aspect of
the Guidelines, ping me to look at it.  I'll read the issue and let
people know if the Guidelines cover the case and if so, whether the
packager or the reviewer is currently covered.  If the other party
thinks the Guidelines should be changed I'll work with them to draft a
policy change and then bring it up for discussion with the Packaging
Committee.  Remember that the burden of proof will be on the person
wanting to make the changes to the Guidelines so whoever wants to go
this route needs to help me provide convincing arguments as to why the
policy should be changed.

There's four basic ways that the Guidelines can be changed:

1) The present guideline should not apply to a package because it is a
special case.  We can make an exception list for these packages.
2) The present guideline poses special problems for implementation with
this package at this time.  We can make an exception list along with the
requirements for the exception to go away.
3) The present guideline does not work for a large number of packages.
We remove the guideline.
4) The present guideline does not work for a large number of packages.
Since the guidelines do work for a large percentage of packages, we'll
clarify wording or add text to take the new issues into account.

I'm hoping to minimize the use of #1 as much as possible.  #3 will
probably have a hard time passing through the committee on short notice.
So for the most part I'll be working with you to draft changes of type
#2 or #4.

The Guideline discussions will take place on #fedora-packaging on
freenode and the fedora-packaging redhat.com mailing list.  Thing that
are controversial will probably be decided on at one of the weekly
packaging meetings while those that have wide packaging committee
acceptance will be voted on in the mailing list.

Here's my contact info:
abadger1999 on irc.freenode.net
a.badger gmail.com for email.  Please include the text:
  "[Packaging Guideline]" in the subject so I don't miss it in my deluge
of email.
toshio tiki-lounge.com to add me to a bugzilla ticket

If there's too many requests to have guideline reviews I'll try to get
others to help but for now it'll just be me.

Thanks,
-Toshio