Process Change: Package Reviews with Flags

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 00:55:38 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 19:14, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Okay so I haven't looked into this but does CVS honestly have no way of
> hooking something in to send the emails, entirely server side so that
> the client can't mess with it, period? Because anything less is pure
> crackrock.
>
> If the tools are crackrock, the solution is to fix the tools, not
> destroy the community by breeding paranoia and distrust.

Regardless if we fix this or not, just checking emails is reactionary.
Something may happen to one of my packages at 10pm EST, but I don't wake up
and read email until 9am EST.  That's a lot of hours for something to happen
to one of my packages and for me to notice.  With automated push tools, a
package build could go out into the repos and be installed by who knows how
many people.  Relying on me being able to read email in time is not a very
good prospect, as you say 'crackrock'.

> Are we or are we not switching to hg or git? I'm pretty sure they can
> get this right, if CVS can't.

We aren't switching SCMs right now.  With all the other things we're changing,
this would be just too much.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora