Problems with core review

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Feb 9 04:26:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 19:54 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 12:30 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> > Let me give a further example, I'll call it "source collision". There is
> > nothing which prevents two independent packages from using a source file
> > with the same name. The basic default rpm macros do not enforce per
> > package source dirs, by default all packages share a common source dir.
> > One source rpm is capable of overwriting another source rpm's files if
> > they share a common name. There are only three ways to prevent this:
> >
> > 1) establish a rule which says every source file must be prepended with
> > a unique string (i.e. the package name).
> >
> This is a de facto standard right now.
Sorry, it is not.

What you say largely is a random side-effect of the fact that most
tarball's names do not to conflict and to user practice (rpmbuild
--rebuild or rpm -U *.src.rpm), but it does not apply to SOURCE<N> in
general.

We have many scripts, patches and other files, which are likely to
conflict - I have been bitten by perl*req/prov filters several times.

Ralf