Problems with core review

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 05:13:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 19:54 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 12:30 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> > 1) establish a rule which says every source file must be prepended with
> > a unique string (i.e. the package name).
> >
> This is a de facto standard right now.

Prefixing is not universal.

If the decision is made to enforce use of $SOURCEn then rpmlint should
also validate all source files are prefixed with their package name and
enforce prefixing just like $SOURCEn would be enforced. Both represent
threats of equivalent magnitude.

However, I am yet to be convinced either rule needs to be enforced,
using build tools obviates the need for either rule. I tend to believe
the guidelines should be written with the assumption build tools will be
used. But perhaps ensuring robustness with direct use of rpmbuild also
needs to be taken into consideration even if it comes at the expense of
other positive attributes such as readability and succinctness.

My vote is fewer rules and a mandate you use sane tools.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>