Review question about /var/log/* files.

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 11:30:01 UTC 2007

Hi folks.

During the review of one of my packages (acpid) a question popped up for
the logfile that acpid generates in /var/log/acpid

Should the package own this file (using %ghost voodoo) or not?

I've checked the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines and couldn't
find any reference to logfiles there.

My personal opinion would be that it depends on whether this logfile is
directly connected to 1 package or not.

Take for example /var/log/messages. Loads of applications, demons,
kernel and whatnots log stuff in there. So no clear association to one
package can be done, ergo it shouldn't be owned by one random package
that writes in there and be owner less.

On the other hand there are some very clear and defined logfiles that
get written to by only one application. /var/log/scrollkeeper.log or the
/var/log/acpid files come to my mind. For those i'd argue that, due to
the nature of those logfiles being directly associated with one specific
package and only one package ever writing to them.

It would be great if this could be discussed at the next meeting and
some conclusion be added to the Review Guidelines.

Thanks,

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111