Question about userdel/groupdel usage in uninstall scripts

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 14:23:58 UTC 2007

Hi folks.

And another question for the next meeting, this time about the use of
userdel and groupdel in scripts after removal of a package.

I suspect for users/groups in the 1-100 uid/gid range this is not a
problem, but removing any users or groups that were added without a
specific uid or gid can be a security issue as those ids might get
reused for accounts that were added later.

Fedora Core doesn't contain any bad cases, but i've already spotted a
few ones in Fedora Extras.

So for a Package Review and Guideline that might be something we want to
take a look at for new packages or (if we ever do that) for a FC-Extras
review.

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111