Review question about /var/log/* files.

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 15:02:36 UTC 2007

On Friday 09 February 2007 09:45, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Another question would be: Why does a service need a separate log file
> system at all?

Because it clutters up the logs. Would you want every apache access
in /var/log/messages? Every xinetd connection in the same place?

> IMO, it should be preferable to have services use syslogd
> (when applicable).

I think that's the key - when applicable. Not everything needs to go to syslog
as it may not be important in a general sense. And then there are times when
syslog doesn't meet the requirements.

-Steve