Review question about /var/log/* files.

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 15:21:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 15:45 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Another question would be: Why does a service need a separate log file
> system at all? IMO, it should be preferable to have services use syslogd
> (when applicable).

You want separate log files because some services log more than an
occasional message and because you want all these messages grouped
together. Email logging is a good example.

Once you establish a need for independent log files then FHS requires
independent directories owned by the service. We have a goal to be FHS
compliant.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit San Diego  |  May 9-11, 2007
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2007