Plan for tomorrows (20070208) FESCO meeting

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Feb 9 20:22:14 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 18:07, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 09:42 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> >
> > Incompatible package upgrade policy.  A good start that probably wouldn't
> > stir up too heated discussions right from the start would be defining how
> > these cases must be communicated.  Recent example:
> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2007-February/msg00069.
> >html
>
> I've been working on the Maintainer Responsibility policy for a bit, and
> there is a section about notifying others about changes that may affect
> their packages.  Is this sufficient, or do you think we should address
> is somewhere else?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/MaintainerResponsibilityPolicy

I think that's a good start, but it lacks two key bits:

1) Where to send the announcement.  There is a note about that being dependent
on mailing list reorganization, but IMNSHO it shouldn't wait for that - just
specify a list where to send them for now.  This list would be a natural
candidate, but AFAIK non-Fedora-maintainers can't post here which is a
drawback (think non-critical update and 3rd party repos not being able to
update dependent packages in the planned timeframe due to whatever reason and
wanting to discuss that in public).  I tend to think that this is acceptable
for an interim solution before the ML reorganization is finished.

2) When to send the announcement.  I think something like one week would be a
good default; if later, do it as early as possible.  And another last heads
up note on the day the update is actually going to be built.