Review question about /var/log/* files.

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 21:56:58 UTC 2007

Phil Knirsch wrote:
> Steve Grubb wrote:
>>> The local admin could have made changes to the logrotate rules.
>>
>> Right, that was my point in mentioning rotated logs. The admin could
>> have set the number of kept logs to 20. So, the question is why should
>> 1 file be ghosted when you have this open ended rotate question?
>>

> Thats a real good point. No package pwning^H^H^H^H^H^H owning any
> logfiles in /var/log/ sounds more and more reasonable. Directories there
> are a different matter as they clearly are connected to a specific package.
>
> Read ya, Phil

I always understood that /var/log was supposed to be write-only by the
respective applications, while other tools like logrotate and logwatch
allowed processing activities.

It seems inappropriate to me to have a RPM package remove logs that from
its perspective were supposed to be write-only?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com