Merge Review build step is redundant?

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Sun Feb 11 17:49:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> When reviewing a new package one needs to assert if the submitted SRPM really
> builds, so there is a step for the reviwer that consists in actually trying
> to build the package.
>
> But for the packages of the "Merge Review" type, that are already built in
> Core, isn't this step unnecessary?

  Yes and no.  While Matt Domsch's builds are very helpful as a baseline,
I've found (accidentally) that they're not quite perfect.
  First, he doesn't do ppc builds.  I honestly haven't encountered any
ppc-specific bugs (I've only done four Core reviews, though), and most
reviewers aren't going to have ppc builders to test them against, so I'm
not sure this is a particularly serious lack.  Oh well.
  Second: Unless I'm mistaken, he only built published SRPMs.  (Anyone is
welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.)  While this may seem like nit-picking
(it does to me, and I know better), it matters if a maintainer made bad
adaptations to a package after the last release was published.  I have no
idea how likely this is, but it did happen in one of my four reviews; I
discovered a poorly implemented patch that made an inadvertant change that
caused the build to fail.  (Oops!)  It was a completely understandable
mishap, but I'm not sure anyone had picked up on it yet.  I only did
because I did a CVS checkout, ran `make srpm`, and threw that against my
buildsys.  Lucky catch.
  I don't think anyone is advocating doing rebuilds against the CVS copy;
the only reason I did is because I got tired of leaching a bunch of files
from Matt's stash. :-)
  I do strongly suspect that for 90+% of cases, Matt's builds are probably
dead-on.  As usual, he's doing very helpful work.  Thanks, Matt!

      Jima