Heads up for login managers

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 16:40:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 09:06 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday 09 February 2007 20:32, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > The major chunk of fast-user-switching has landed in Rawhide and as such
> > if a desktop session requires non-trival services from HAL the login
> > manager launching the session needs to be patched to poke ConsoleKit.
>
> Is there any papers, design docs, or anything to read about how this is
> intended to work?

Sure, it was announced mid-November 2006

 http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-November/msg00507.html

and also mentioned in Bill's plan for Fedora 7. There's not been a ton
of feedback from the community just yet.

> Has there been a security review?

Not per se and, for the record, I'm unsure what is involved in doing
that for Fedora; do you know? I guess I'm trying to say there's no
process for how to do that. Also, keep in mind f-u-s isn't exactly new,
IIRC earlier Fedora releases have allowed you to do this; all we're
doing here is turning it on by default as well as fixing up the OS to
deal with it (see the Wiki page the mail links to).

Suffice to say it's been discussed on a number of lists, it's been
designed with security in mind and I also mentioned it doing my two
talks at LCA. Also had a lot of private exchanges with people about it.
I'd welcome a "security review" by you and others involved in
security-related matters in Fedora; it would be nice if you could do
that, thanks.

> Does the design still
> allow the distro to meet CAPP?

Haven't looked into it and I'm not sure Fedora is certified in any way
at this point anyway. Also it might be useful, as a community service to
all readers on the list, if you linked to what CAPP is when using jargon
like that, thanks.

      David