Heads up for login managers

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 18:48:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 13:22 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Which is not good enough; we need a model where we can make a
> > distinction between the actual sessions so we can deny service to
> > sessions depending on whether they are active / local or whatnot. Do you
> > agree this is an important goal? What guarantees we make, and more
>
> I don't understand why you require security for this. I can see why it is
> useful in an advisory manner (typing reboot in the wrong window failing
> because it is remote even though I have a local session on the tagret box
> may save a few backsides by avoiding errors)

Two sessions in fast user switching on a single seat. One web cam. You
really want to make sure that the inactive session cannot use the web
cam. Yes, to do this in a really secure manner you want revoke() and
probably something even better than this proposal

 http://lwn.net/Articles/192632/

E.g. we want to say "revoke all access to /dev/video for processes in
this or that session". Without revoke we can at least remove ACL's on
the device file.

> If your model is that there are some set of users who have processes
> on the system, and that 1 or more of those users are members of a subset
> who have 'special powers' because at that moment they posess a session which
> is 'active', 'local', etc then you need to ensure that the privileged
> agent which manages the creation of sessions/switching of active session and
> the privileged agents which implement the special powers share a common
> dynamic list/database indicating which uids are currently entitled to exercise
> special powers.

That's called ConsoleKit, please see

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop/FastUserSwitching

for details. Entities that manage e.g. device file permissions can hook
into this to add / remove ACL's on devices as well as calling revoke()
(if that is available) on session switching.

      David