Review question about /var/log/* files.

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Feb 18 03:09:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 15:37 +0100, Phil Knirsch wrote:
> Steve Grubb wrote:
> >> The local admin could have made changes to the logrotate rules.
> >
> > Right, that was my point in mentioning rotated logs. The admin could have set
> > the number of kept logs to 20. So, the question is why should 1 file be
> > ghosted when you have this open ended rotate question?
> >

> Thats a real good point. No package pwning^H^H^H^H^H^H owning any
> logfiles in /var/log/ sounds more and more reasonable. Directories there
> are a different matter as they clearly are connected to a specific package.

I got bit on my server, which runs debian. (changing to CentOS Real Soon
Now...) When I moved it over to Apache 2 from 1.3, I left 1.3 installed
until it worked. Once I got everything going under Apache 2, I dpkg
--purged Apache 1.3, and to my surprise, it nuked several years worth
of access log files. I wanted to keep them around for running
statistics and such. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks, debian...