Announcing a change in the Fedora 7 schedule

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 16:46:56 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 February 2007 11:36, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> In previous releases, placing FCX in maintenance mode happened IIRC at
> FC(X+2)test2 time.  But I suppose maintenance mode as the concept it used
> to be has disappeared along with Legacy.
>
> Which way shall it be for FC5, and what are the plans for FC6+ in the
> future?   Incidentally, I was looking for this information a few days back,
> but couldn't find it.  It'd be good to have this documented somewhere
> prominently.  Something to add to this week's FESCo agenda?

It does need to be decided.  It was left somewhat in the air from the Fedora
Summit where we introduced the idea of a 13~ month livespan, going from Test2
to 1 month past GOLD for a lifespan.  We punted on any decision wrt FC-5 (and
even 6) at that point.

Given that we still don't have an ability for community folks to contribute
updates to existing Fedora releases, I think this really needs to be answered
by RH engineering management for how much work they are willing to sign up
their engineers for, and that really isn't a decision that FESCO can make.
We can certainly decide what should happen to Extras packages in accordance
with the Core lifespan.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora