Rawhide stability

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Feb 21 21:24:31 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 February 2007 16:08, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> For example, how do we expect users to help out with testing if rawhide
> is regularly in a completely unusable state?  Is there something we can
> do to drive towards more continuous stability?  Is this even possible?
> Should we instead focus on making more frequent (weekly?) releases in
> between actual test releases?  Are better tools (such as a better bug
> tracking system, a better delivery mechanism, more effective
> communication media, a better means of working with different upstream
> projects, etc.) the answer to more stability?  Can we achieve stability
> while still pushing the latest technology?  Am I completely nuts for
> attempting to draw any comparisons between Eclipse and Fedora?
>
> I look forward to people's thoughts on these issues.

The biggest problems are almost always broken deps.  That's just the nature of
things, different parts get built at different times, and a cron job just
pushes whatever mess is currently there out.  There was talk of doing
recursive depsolving and removing parts of the push that would break deps,
but then what lands in rawhide isn't the same as what is in the buildroots,
plus somethings may never go out and see the light of day if we do this.  Not
to mention compose time would skyrocket :/

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora