Rawhide stability

Juan Quintela quintela at redhat.com
Sat Feb 24 15:04:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 14:11 -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > # yum install yum-skip-broken and use the --skip-broken parameter.
>
> My hero!  A "smallest possible transaction" mode would still make me
> happier for rawhide upgrades.  I have too many times had the giant yum
> upgrade not have any dep problems, but have some %post error or kernel
> crash in the middle, that left me with an unholy mess of half-upgraded crap
> to sort out (usually both versions of a billion rpms in the db, with the
> files maybe from the new one or maybe still some files from the old one,
> etc).  If each transaction were only as big as it needed to be to be
> coherent, with the rpm database written in a clear state, then the
> incremental damage done at any instance of crashing in the middle would be
> much more manageable.

And that will also help when you don't have enough free space in /var
for the update. i.e. today upgrade from a fresh FC6 to FC6+updates in
one go in x86_64 needs ~700MB on /var.  When I don't have enough space,
I have to do the updates by hand and it works.

Later, Juan.

/me expects that somebody shows me some other yum plugin that does that