Future owners/ACL choices

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 04:16:10 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 14:14 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Saturday 24 February 2007 13:55, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Maintainer requesting ownership of an owned package => request is queued
> > Dropping ownership => at will
> > Taking orphans => at will
> > Maintainer transfer => Present owner should be able to reassign to a new
> > owner within cvsextras.
> > Orphaned packages have ACLs dropped back to "open for cvsextras."
>
> And rel-eng type people can do reassignments at will right?  Like say if an
> employee leaves Red Hat and another maintainer picks up the packages, or if
> somebody changes groups within Red Hat leaving various packages behind, or
> other such things.

Essentially yes.  I haven't coded it yet but the initial plan is that
people who are in the cvsadmin group will have the same rights as an
owner of any package.  Which group is given this power is almost certain
to be changed over time, however.

Your example brings up an important but tangential point, however: In
the merged Core + Extras world (aka allowing community outside of Red
Hat to maintain "Core" packages) someone within Red Hat could leave Red
Hat and still want to maintain their packages for Fedora.  In many
cases, this would be a good thing.  So changing owners should still go
through some sort of process even when the maintainer involved is from
within Red Hat (not just have a rel-engineer make the change when the
Red Hatter takes another job.)

-Toshio