Future owners/ACL choices

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 04:33:13 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 20:35 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Samstag 24 Februar 2007, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > Maintainer requesting ownership of an owned package => request is queued
>
> When is there a need for a maintainer to get ownership of another package
> without wanting the original owner to transfer it? The only case I can think
> of is when the actual owner of a package is AWOL. But in this case it should
> be made sure that all of his packages are taken care of, so that the correct
> workflow should be a request to orphan all packages of a maintainer and then
> pick the package one wants to adopt.

There could be other instances as well.  If Dave Jones were to go AWOL,
for instance, and he had no comaintainers, we'd certainly want to fast
track someone onto the kernel package no matter what the state of his
other packages.

If a package maintainer was not dealing with one of their packages but
was quite active on their others, we'd want to enable someone to take
over that one package.

> What may be useful, would be to queue the request for the owner of the
> regarding package, so that a maintainer can ask another maintainer via the
> packageDB for a package and then it is transfered.

Sure.  That would work for me.  Something like: "Request Ownership" =>
Request queued with the Package Owner and Admins able to approve it.
Note that I don't consider requesting ownership of an owned package an
essential feature for the initial incarnation.  Queuing or requests
could be implemented later.

> > Maintainer transfer => Present owner should be able to reassign to a new
> > owner within cvsextras.
>
> I think that this transfer should be acknowleged by the new owner before it
> takes place, to make sure it is wanted by both sides.

I could go either way.  If the new owner doesn't want it, all they have
to do is drop ownership (Or send it back) so I don't think acknowledging
the package is uber-important.

-Toshio