Future owners/ACL choices

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Feb 26 17:55:58 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 February 2007, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) said:
> >
> > Check how FE has handled this:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/AWOL_Maintainers
> >
> > I don't see why this should not be applicable in future.
> >
> > One problem however: The ACLs prevent volunteers from stepping in and to
> > take over rsp. to remove a package.
>
> Sure, that's how to *obtain* ownership if you desire it, and Toshio
> has mentioned in this thread how he'd like to make that step easy.
>
> What I'm concerned about is packages remaining orphaned long-term,
> because either no one wants to maintain them, or not maintain
> them more than a rebuild for depedencies, etc. That's not really
> covered here.

During the FE preparations for FC6 [1], we pruned packages which were known to
be orphaned from the repositories unless they got unorphaned in timely
manner.  I think this would be a good strategy to apply by default before
every release, but perhaps earlier than was done in the above case, eg.
somewhere between test2 and test3.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/FC6MassRebuild