Future owners/ACL choices

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Mon Feb 26 18:00:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:25:33 -0500
notting at redhat.com (Bill Nottingham) wrote:

> Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) said:
> > > I'm mostly of the opinion that they shouldn't be kept limping
> > > indefinitely without an *actual* owner.
> >
> > Check how FE has handled this:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/AWOL_Maintainers
> >
> > I don't see why this should not be applicable in future.
> >
> > One problem however: The ACLs prevent volunteers from stepping in
> > and to take over rsp. to remove a package.
>
> Sure, that's how to *obtain* ownership if you desire it, and Toshio
> has mentioned in this thread how he'd like to make that step easy.
>
> What I'm concerned about is packages remaining orphaned long-term,
> because either no one wants to maintain them, or not maintain
> them more than a rebuild for depedencies, etc. That's not really
> covered here.

Yeah, there needs to be periodic 'culling' of the orphans.
If they haven't been picked up in a while (how long?) they should get:

- removed from the repository (all branches?)
- all open bugs closed with 'this package isn't maintained anymore,
sorry'
- bugzilla component removed?
- cvs rm'ed and dead.package put in place.

Perhaps that could be automated somehow?
Of course it's possible that removing an orphan will break a non orphan
package, so what do we do there? Let it be broken and the maintainer
can bring the orphan back if they want?

We could do it something like a week before test3 every cycle?
or Just try and run it once a week or something?

Right now there are over 100 orphans that should get cleaned out...

> Another point is that we probably need to set up an official place
> where people can watch and track owner changes, package changes, etc
> to orphaned packages, much in the same way that owners get all the
> commits to their own packages now.

Yeah, if this was done via script it could mail a report to maintainers?
and/or have a fedora people feed to post what orphans were nuked?

> Bill

kevin